Friday, January 17, 2014

Support: "With a little help from my friends" - Michael Novakovich

All day yesterday I found myself singing, "(
I get by) With a little help from my friends." I guess that's what I get for leaving the Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, in my truck's cd player! Isn't it true though? We often need the support of others to do what needs to be done. Whether it is a workplace, civic or household project, help and support are often needed. This is certainly true for individuals and families faced with a cancer diagnosis. A little help from friends goes a long way.

Yesterday in our lobby we had a group of four people laughing, chatting and working on a puzzle (pictured). Together they were assembling the pieces to make a complete picture. It struck me as symbolic of the help which is often needed to pull life's pieces together. What are the benefits of allowing others to help us?

  • We may complete the project sooner
  • The expertise of others can lead to better outcomes
  • The experience of others provides a fresh perspective and creative approaches
  • They help share the load
  • We aren't alone should challenges arise

I'm sure you can add to the list. In fact, I would encourage you to leave a response post regarding where you have found support or how you have given it. You just might help someone find a new avenue to face a challenge they are facing.

Working at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center I have the privilege of seeing a high-level of support happen on a daily basis. It provides quite an education on how to approach life in a meaningful way. Here we see families helping patients, patients helping patients, staff helping patients and their families as they (staff) help each other provide the highest levels of care. I see volunteers helping patients while they also offer support to staff. Of course, our staff also work diligently with our healthcare partners in the region to provide an integrated system of cancer care for the community we serve.

All of this comes back to the people we serve: patients and their families. Each group has a unique set of needs as it relates to support. I recently interviewed Gayle Bittinger, a local author who is battling breast cancer. Gayle mentioned to me that while she appreciates the numerous support groups we host, sharing in a group setting didn't fit her personality. Instead, she turned to journaling. You would think this is an individual act, one that doesn't require support. If fact, Gayle's journaling involved her family, friends, and healthcare team. Her journal became a book and I am certain she would tell you, it wouldn't have been published if it weren't for the support in her life (join us as Gayle shares excerpts from her book on February 10th - see our Calendar of Events www.tccancer.org).

We all need support in one form or another. It can be hard admitting it. Often we need to let down our guard to receive it. Many of us have been conditioned to go it alone. Yet, there is great truth to the notions that, two heads are better than one, many hands make light work, and the more the merrier.

As for me, I get by with a little help from my friends.

~ Michael

Michael Novakovich
Director of Business Development
Tri-Cities Cancer Center

No comments:

Post a Comment