Friday, February 1, 2013

It Must be so Hard to Work There



When I tell people that I’m a nurse at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center the response is usually a heartrending face and the statement “Oh… it must be so hard to work there.” In actuality, it’s exactly the opposite.  There are lots of smiles and laughter in our building. I am happy to see my patients and their families. I am an integral part of their cancer fighting team and I get to be there to cheer them on, to celebrate victories or provide support when the news isn’t what we hoped for. I’ve been working at TCCC for over 12 years as a radiation oncology nurse. Over those years I’ve learned that fighting cancer takes strength and I don’t mean muscle…I mean grit. It’s a privilege to work here and have an opportunity to get to know some of the bravest people on earth. I also get to work with a team of compassionate professionals like myself. Oncology isn’t a profession someone falls into. We have all chosen to be here for one reason or another. My reason doesn’t stem from a personal story. I am here to help my patients take on, and triumph, as best we can the fight of their life. 


Rebecca Grimes, RN
Tri-Cities Cancer Center


No comments:

Post a Comment