Friday, August 16, 2013

Patient Poem: My Life

One of our Chaplains, Margaret Ley, passed on the following poem that was shared with her. The mother of the poet wanted her daughter's words to be heard. The following note was included with the poem:

This poem entitled “My Life,” was written my Michele Marie Thoreson, a 20 year old college student who was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the age of 19. She passed away when she was 22 years old. Michele loved to write poems and always signed them with her initials circled. This poem had no circled initials, just a comma at the end... I believe it was because she really wasn’t done yet...her life really wasn’t over.

My Life

I’m consumed with pain
A pain from fear
A pain of not knowing the future
Take nothing for granted
Ever
I want so much
But nothing more than the monster within the nightmare I live
To go away
Forever
To Love and be loved
To hold my child
To teach that child the wonders of the world
Of life
Of God
He is my lifeline
What keeps me holding on
He wakes me from the nightmare
And reminds me
Faith is all I need
And faith I have,

- Michele M. Thoreson

No comments:

Post a Comment