Friday, November 15, 2013

My Second Home - Melody O'Neal


Proud Grandma Mel with
her grandbaby, Logan.

I was asked to write a blog for the Tri-Cities Cancer Center – where do I begin?  Do I start with when I read the job placement advertisement and knew it was the job for me or do I start with my mom and dad both being diagnosed with cancer within 18 months of each other and not having the Tri-Cities Cancer Center for a place to go?   I guess I will start with the one that happened first.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987, had a mastectomy and was a cancer survivor for 16 years before passing away from diabetes complications.  She was the anchor of the family and had to be the strong one for me and my dad, it would have been wonderful for her if she could have came to the cancer center to meet with a support group or take part in one of the many activities we have for our patients.  My dad and I not knowing who and what to ask would have seen the cancer library as a great tool to help us thorough the unknown.

Then my daddy was diagnosed with bone cancer/prostate cancer in 1989.  He was treated very well in the basement of Kennewick General Hospital, going down a very little elevator for radiation treatment and having to get back in the car and drive to the lab for blood work and then if it okay, drive over to Pasco to get chemotherapy.  The Tri-Cities Cancer Center would have made our whole families life a lot better if it would have been here at that time.  All of that would have been under one roof plus he could have stopped and had a cup of coffee between appointments! Daddy passed away in 1991.  

In 1999 I was looking for new career when I spotted an accounts payable clerk needed at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center.  Having been a stay home mom for 8 years, it was a perfect start for me to get back into the job force.  I was a little hesitant to apply because the thought of cancer brought back sad memories but I put my front foot forward and applied.  I remember the day of my interview, I came through the front doors and was greeted with a pleasant smile and greeting from the patient registrator, patients doing puzzles and the foyer all decorated with hay bales (it was fair week!).   I thought to myself, wow what a positive environment – I would love to belong to this place!  And after 14 years, I have grown to call the Tri-Cities Cancer Center my second home, the people that I work with, my second family and some of them have become my closest friends.  I have had numerous family members and friends come through our doors for cancer treatment and though I have been sad that they have cancer, I have been so happy that they have an excellent treatment facility that stands true to their mission, vision and values.   Mission - To provide and coordinate the highest quality, compassionate cancer care for the communities we serve.  Vision - To reach a larger audience with a broader spectrum of service.  Values - Respect, teamwork, compassion and excellence.


~ Mel

Melody O'Neal
Human Resources/AP/AR
Tri-Cities Cancer Center


No comments:

Post a Comment