Friday, November 1, 2013

There's No Place Like Home! - Lorie Maples

When I was 12, my Dad took a job at Hanford and moved us from Simi Valley California to the Tri-Cities.  In California we had bikers (my Dad said they were Hell’s Angels) that lived next to us partying all the time, so my Dad was glad to move us to Washington.  Initially, we lived in hotels, apartments, and with church friends in Benton City waiting for our house in Hills West to be built.  I remember my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother at the time, and our house was way behind schedule.  I am the oldest of four.  I have two brothers and one sister.

I attended Lewis & Clark, Carmichael, and Columbia/Richland High School.  After high school, I decided to join the Navy.  I wanted to see the world and get as far away as I could from the Tri-Cities.  I chose to become a diesel mechanic in the Navy, and life’s lessons began.  Navy life was a great adventure .   I went to boot camp in Orlando, FL and Great Lakes, IL for my diesel mechanic training.  My first duty station was in Annapolis, MD, a naval station across the river from the Naval Academy. 

I spent five years in the Navy and married another sailor.  I have two wonderful boys named Derrik and Kyle, and a beautiful granddaughter named Ezrah.  Since I left Tri-Cities, I have lived in Maryland, Panama, Pennsylvania, Seattle, and 15 years in Cleveland, Tennessee.  I decided to move back to the Tri-Cities in 2010 to be closer to my Mom, brothers, and sister.  It’s funny how my life has come full circle back to this place.  There’s no place like home!

Working at the Tri-Cities Cancer Center has been a great career choice for me.  Being part of a group of professional and caring people who love what they do is the best part.   I truly admire the hard work and dedication my coworkers have for the patients and their families.  Every day I come to work it’s something new.  I’m truly grateful to be here.

Lorie Maples
Executive Administrative Assistant
Tri-Cities Cancer Center

No comments:

Post a Comment