Friday, May 31, 2013

A Brain Cancer Diagnosis from One Mother’s Perspective - Nikki Austin

What does it mean to have a child diagnosed with brain cancer?  Quite simply, it means our life is forever changed.  

The week before our son was diagnosed, we were unpacking from a camping trip, trying to get back into the swing of back to school and looking for answers to the mysterious headaches that Matthew had been having for 6 weeks.  I remember I was stressed because I was behind at work and our schedules were filling up with football practices and dance class.

One week later, on September 7, 2012, we finally got answers ….but not the answers we were expecting.  Our son was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor called diffuse instrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG).  The prognosis for this type of tumor is poor, with the percentage of 3 year survivors in the single digits.

In that moment when the doctor delivered the news, our life as we knew it ended and we began a new life.  Cancer life.  When you’re told “this is as bad as it gets….he’s got a long hard road ahead….” lots of things go through your mind.  I can remember breaking the news to my cousin and sobbing into the phone “I’ll never see him get married.  He’ll never graduate high school or drive a car.  How can this be happening to us?”  At the time I couldn’t even comprehend those concepts.  As I type these words today, I still can’t comprehend those concepts.  

Cancer life involved our moving to Seattle for 8 weeks and living at the Ronald McDonald House while Matthew underwent radiation treatments and chemo to shrink his tumor.  Our daughter lived with my husband’s parents while we were gone and we got to come home on weekends to see her.  It was hard on our whole family and as a mother I felt horribly guilty every Sunday when we had to leave her for another week.  At the same time, I loved the one on one time we got with our son.  I loved our afternoon naps and being able to devote 100% of my time to him.  My husband and I both took leaves of absence from our jobs so we could be there for our son.  Luckily we have amazing friends who took care of our home, animals and anything else that came up while we were gone.  

As the shock of Matthew’s diagnosis wore off, sheer panic set in.  We began to realize that we couldn’t fix this.  We were completely helpless.  I don’t think there is any worse feeling as a parent than knowing that we can’t make this better.  For me, it’s the most difficult part of this whole journey.  This boy who I gave birth to is going to die from this beast and I can’t save him.  It’s the one thought guaranteed to drop me to my knees and paralyze me with anxiety.  

The day after Matthew’s diagnosis as I was feeling terrified and completely out of control, I received a piece of wonderful advice from a physician friend of mine who treats cancer.  She told me “you don’t know how much time you have, so go and make memories.”  That became our mantra.  We made a conscious decision on that day that we were going to make the best out of our time together.  We could sit around feeling sorry for ourselves and drowning in despair, or we could choose to live our lives.  

We have learned to appreciate even the simplest times that we get to spend together.    When some moms complain that their child didn’t make the tournament baseball team, I’m thankful beyond words that my child lived long enough to play baseball this season.  While some moms are frustrated because their child didn’t make it into the accelerated learning program, I’m just happy that my son is still able to attend school full-time as he continues on chemotherapy and struggles with the side effects that the radiation to his brain has left him.  This brain cancer diagnosis has given us a crystal clear perspective on our life that I’m pretty sure we never would have had if this didn’t happen to us.

There are so many negative aspects to this horrible brain cancer journey that we’re on.  But there are some wonderful things that we’ve experienced.  We’ve been touched by a generosity that we never knew existed.  We’ve learned to take nothing for granted because we know all too well that it can be taken away from us in a heartbeat.  We’ve made wonderful friends on our journey….and we’ve cried as we learned that some of our friends have lost their fights.  

Tonight, as I finish this, I have just un-packed from another camping trip 8 months after our son’s brain cancer diagnosis.  The stress in my life is much different than the stress I had previously.  Yes, our life is forever changed.  I would gladly trade the crystal clear perspective, the taking nothing for granted and all the wonderful things we’ve experienced to go back to our old life.  The old life where I didn’t know anything about brain cancer and the stress in my life was caused by busy schedules and meaningless drama.  Unfortunately, we don’t have that choice.  So we’ll continue fighting.  And living.  And appreciating.  And making memories.  Because although we can’t control the fact that cancer has changed our life…..we can control how we choose to face this journey.

~ Nikki Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment