Friday, May 17, 2013

Brain cancer robs so much from its victims - Liz Pearson

“Something showed up on the MRI.” Those six words changed my life forever when I first heard them on July 2, 2011.  The emergency room doctors discovered a tennis ball sized tumor in my husband’s brain. My first reaction was total shock and disbelief. I spent the following day on the couch, unable to move. Two weeks later my husband Josh,underwent a craniotomy and had 85% of his tumor removed.  I honestly do not remember much of how I felt in those few weeks. I kept thinking that this could not possibly be happening to us. Did he have cancer?  Is he going to die?  How on Earth am I going to help my children through this?  How are we going to pay our bills?  Our entire world had been turned upside-down. When we got the call on July 22, 2011 informing us that Josh had Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme brain cancer, our worst fears were confirmed. We were told that he would have a year, maybe two if we were lucky. Hearing that news once again left me paralyzed on the couch for a day. I decided that I could not let his disease knock me out of commission again. I have to be strong for Josh and the kids, and I need to do everything in my power to keep things as normal as possible for everyone.

Since his diagnosis our lives have drastically changed. Josh lost his job and benefits, causing serious financial strain. After talking to some amazingly smart financial advisors,they got us on the right track. However, we have still had to make several adjustments to accommodate living on a salary that is substantially less. Another change for us is that Josh is no longer able to drive. I am a full-time student at WSU Tri-Cities, and we have two VERY active children. I am always driving someone to school, music lessons, sports, doctors appointments. Cub Scouts, yearbook, etc.

The most difficult part of this journey is seeing my once very able-bodied husband deteriorate before my very eyes. He now walks using a walking stick (not a cane, because canes are for old people, as he says), his speech has been impacted, as I mentioned before, he can’t drive anymore, his vision has gotten really bad, and his personality has changed.
Brain cancer robs so much from its victims. It leaves them totally dependent on others. We know that there is no cure for this cancer. There is a fine line between being hopeful and realistic. Yes, we hope for good quality of life for Josh for as long as he can get it. However in the end, my husband is going to die....it is not a matter of “if”, but  a matter of “when”. Take a moment to imagine that. Someone that you love is going to die, no matter what you do. I have never felt so helpless and alone. That is why I am doing my best to help raise awareness. There needs to be a cure for families like mine. No other person should have to watch their husband suffer with this disease and then be left to raise their beautiful children alone. People often tell me “I don’t know how you do it”. Honestly, I don’t know how I do it either. There are moments I find myself sobbing on my closet floor because the thought of it all is just too much for one person to bear. I have no idea how I am going to get the kids and I through this, but I refuse to sink. I will do everything in my power to raise awareness for brain cancer. More awareness + more research = A CURE!

Liz Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment