Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Daddy has Brain Cancer - By Emma Pearson


Dealing with the news of a cancer diagnosis is hard on anyone. Today Josh Pearson’s 12 year old daughter Emma is sharing some of her feelings about her dad’s diagnosis of brain cancer.

Remember More Awareness + More Research = A CURE!

How has life changed since dad was diagnosed with brain cancer?

He can’t drive and we have to rely on my mom to take us everywhere. My mom is really busy with school and taking everyone places. My grandma helps when my mom can’t go two places at a time. Mostly my life is pretty much the same, except when my dad has his treatments I can’t have sleepovers at my house because he gets really tired and my mom doesn’t want us to bother him when he’s resting.

How has daddy changed since he got brain cancer?

Dad doesn’t do as much stuff as he used to like take us fishing or play with us. He can’t really play catch with my little brother anymore. My dad sleeps a lot more now. My dad’s brain cancer makes him shake when he walks and he uses a walking stick to get around. He doesn’t have as much energy as he used to. Dad has these seizure things that make him talk funny every now and then. Sometimes my dad’s medicine makes him throw up and its gross. His medicine can also make him kind of in a bad mood. Mostly, I am used to it now.

How did you feel when your parents told you your dad had cancer?

I was surprised and shocked, I guess. I felt kind of scared that the doctors might not fix him and that the cancer could keep growing and growing and growing. At first I was afraid that he might die, but it’s been 2 years and the doctors are still giving him medicine to make him better. Sometimes I still worry that something bad will happen.

What advice would you give other kids whose parent has brain cancer?

It may seem like it sucks at first, but after awhile you’ll realize that your parent could get better and hopefully everything will be ok. Try not to be afraid because the doctors will help them get better. Oh, and make sure you can talk to your friends and parents and family about stuff so you aren’t too sad about it.

What do you want people to know about brain cancer?

Doctors need more money so they can study brains and find better medicine to make my dad’s cancer go away. They have been trying to fix him for like two years and it’s not totally working. I wish his cancer could just go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment